Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
Dear Sadh Sangat Ji,
Covid has adversely impacted our lives. Our Sangat also went through a lot of difficulties due to Covid but we are thankful to Waheguru ji for keeping our families safe. Our Sangat, sevadars and Bhai Sahib’s safety is our highest priority and that is why we kept Gurdwara closed. Many of you have been asking about the status of Sikh Gurdwara reopening. We would like to update you on our plan to reopen the Gurdwara with all safety measures. As of February, vaccines are being administered everywhere in United States and by now most of our elder community members have taken Covid Vaccine. We plan to reopen Gurdwara responsibly and follow DC government’s guidelines. For those who are 65+ and have not yet taken the vaccine, we encourage all our members to sign up and get vaccinated. Below are the websites for Maryland, Washington DC and Virginia to register for vaccine.
Even though we have decided to reopen the Gurdwara, we will be taking all the precautions, follow Washington DC’s guidelines and restrictions for gatherings. Below is our Covid plan to reopen the Gurdwara:
- Sikh Gurdwara DC will resume services on April 04, 2021.
- Only ONE diwan will be held from 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM. We will start and end on time, so please cooperate by coming on time for diwan.
- We request sangat members to please do not enter Gurdwara premises before 10:45AM because of safety reasons.
- Sangat members are allowed to enter Gurdwara on FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS till total occupancy (66 members) is not reached.
- Only ONE door (back door next to parking at the back of Gurdwara Sahib) will be kept open for the entrance and no one will be allowed to enter without checking temperature. Please use hand sanitizer placed in front of the door before entry for everyone’s safety. If you have been tested positive for Covid 19, have come in contact with person who is tested positive for Covid 19 within 14 days or experience any symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, body aches, fever, nasal congestion or cough etc, please stay home and consult your doctor.
- As per DC government occupancy guidelines, only 25% of total occupancy (see attached) are allowed at a time, so we will be monitoring the count at the door and MAXIMUM 66 members of sangat are allowed at a time inside the Gurdwara premises. If the limit has reached, we will request people to wait in their vehicle until other people leave the Gurdwara. Please do not take any offense in this process.
- Total occupancy of 66 includes children, sangat members in diwan hall, kitchen and any section inside the Gurdwara premises.
- To-go Langar will be provided.
- All visitors, staff and Granthis are required to wear mask, please bring your own masks.
- We will be implementing social distancing policies; seating areas will be marked 6 ft apart from each other, 10 ft away from Bhai Sahib ji and we ask sangat to sit on the marked areas only. During Covid we are not allowing sangat to do Kirtan, Parikrama or Chor Sahib seva. We will be assigning a few members to do Chor Sahib seva.
- Families can sit together as that will help in social distancing
- Parents are responsible to supervise and make sure kids follow the safety guidelines for safety of kids and everyone
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water.
- Keeping the safety of Bhai Sahib ji’s family in mind, no one will be allowed to go in their apartment, and no one will be allowed to use the bathroom upstairs in their apartment.
- NO PREPARED OR READY TO EAT FOOD WILL BE ALLOWED TO BRING IN GURDWARA, ONLY RAW MATERIAL OR MONETARY DONATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- No more than 5 people will be allowed in the kitchen to prepare langar and we are only allowing people who are fully vaccinated to prepare the langar for the sangat.
- Khalsa school will remain closed and we will notify you when services will be resumed.
- A couple fo volunteers are needed for Seva and they are included in total occupancy
- For any questions, please call Bhai Sahib ji at 202 403 9885.
- For quick reference and personal safety, we have attached the poster that we found online, and we feel the information is very important to follow anywhere. We have also attached the screenshot of DC Government’s website that lists the occupancy limit at this time.
We request your cooperation in helping us maintain a healthy environment by practicing safety, wearing masks, and maintaining social distancing. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas feel free to email us.
Gurdwara Management Sevadars