Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!
Saadh Sangat Ji,
We will be remembering Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji this week on his Jyoti Jot Diwas and will celebrate Gurgaddi diwas of Guru Harkrishan Sahib Ji this Sunday (16-Oct-2016) in Sikh Gurdwara DC.
Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji:
He was the seventh of the Ten Gurus of Sikhism following in the footsteps of his grandfather, Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji. Before Guru Ji died, he nominated Guru Har Krishan Ji, his son as the next Guru of the Sikhs. The following is a summary of the main highlights of Guru Ji life:
1. Continued the military traditions started by his grandfather Guru Har Gobind Ji
2. Kept 2200 mounted soldiers at all times.
3. Was disturbed as a child by the suffering caused to plants when they were accidentally destroyed by his robe.
Guru Har Krishan Sahib Ji:
Guru Har Krishan Ji was the eighth of the Ten Gurus of Sikhism. Before Guru Ji died, he nominated Baba Bakala ji, as the next Guru of the Sikhs. The following is a summary of the main highlights of Guru ji’s short life:
1) Guru Har Krishan was of a small age when he attained the leadership of the Sikh people. There are very few devotees of God in human history who have achieved a high level of spirituality in such small age. Prahlad, Dhruv was one of them and Guru Har Krishan can also be included in the same list. All other Sikh Guru’s sat on the “Gaddi”, the “throne of Guruship” when they were over the age of 12, but only Guru Har Krishan Ji sat on the Gaddi when he was just 5 of age.
2) When Guruji stayed in Delhi there was a smallpox epidemic which resulted in many deaths. By Guru ji’s blessing, the lake at Bangla Sahib provided a cure for thousands. Exposing himself to his many devotees he too died succumbed to smallpox. Thus he unselfishly, without the thought of danger to himself, served many people. This is true Sewa to care for the sick even at the risk of one’s own life.
3) Gurdwara Bangla Sahib was constructed in Guru ji’s memory. This is where he stayed during his visit to Delhi. This was originally the palace of Raja Jai Singh, who was a strong and powerful Sikh and a devotee of the Guru.
4) Guru Sahib caused the illiterate water-carrier Chhaju Ram to expound the philosophy of the holy Gita on challenge from Pandit Lal Chand. On hearing this narration of the holy Gita, Pandit Lal Chand was deeply humiliated. Gurudwara Panjokhara Sahib is situated there.
Asa di vaar – 8:00 am to 10:00 am
Sukhmani Sahib – 10:00 am to 11:00 am
Kirtan by Sangat – 11:00 am to 11:45 am
Kirtan by Bhai Surinder Singh ji – 11:45 am to 1:15 pm
Langar – 1:45 pm
NOTE: There is ample amount of free parking on Sunday in DC next to Gurdwara Sahib and also in parking lot in basement.